In an era when the iPad is often more appealing than the park, it can be difficult to encourage kids to get off the couch and go outside. In this inspirational book, with ideas for children of all ages, foraging expert Fiona Bird shows the value of playing outside and discovering nature for children and families alike.
First Fiona teaches children about their environment, including conservation guidelines and tips on how to forecast the weather. Armed with this knowledge, the outside adventure goes Into the Woods:
- Chapter 1: Outdoor crafts including making leaf art bunting, a dream catcher, and a woodland broom. -
- Chapter 2: activities include wild face paints, natural dyeing, and making potpourri
- Chapter 3: beachcombing, seaweed identification, beach hopscotch, and make a mollusk wind chime
- Chapter 4: children learn to make their own charcoal and go on an animal track and poop hunt!
- Chapter 5: make a snail holiday village, attracting bugs, hunting and gathering skills, seasonal recipes made from natural ingredients
So let your kids go wild outside, and enjoy watching them learn and blossom!